Paul Peter Nicolai
Paul Peter Nicolai created Nicolai Law Group P.C. after several years as General Counsel for Friendly Ice Cream Corporation. Nicolai holds a J.D. from Western New England College School of Law and a Bachelors Degree in Political Science from American International College. He also holds certificates from the Harvard Law School Program of Instruction for Lawyers and several business management programs.
Nicolai started his professional career as a Legal Assistant for the Friendly Ice Cream Corporation and moved through several roles in the organization to become the Company Counsel and Assistant Clerk where he reported to the CEO and was part of the Hershey Foods Corporation law staff. During his career he has developed a broad based understanding of the practice of business role of law in business structures and operations. Nicolai currently serves as the President of Nicolai Law Group P.C.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- 30% Business Counselling
- 20% Intellectual Property
- 20% Employment
- 15% Merger & Acquisition
- 15% ADR
- 25% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New Hampshire, 2009
- Massachusetts, 1979
- District of Columbia, 1988
- New York, 1987
- Connecticut, 2004
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1990
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1984
- U.S. Tax Court, 1991
- Western New England University School of Law, Springfield, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 1979
- Honors: With Distinction
- American International College, Springfield, Massachusetts
- B.A. - 1975
- Major: Political Science
- Contributor, Annual Review of Intellectual Property Law Developments, Intellectual Property Law Section, American Bar Association, January, 2009
- After The Award, Massachusetts Bar Association, April, 2008
- Co-Author & Editor, Report of The Special Committee On Online Trademark Issues, Intellectual Property Law Section, American Bar Association, September, 2007
- Contributor, AAA Handbook on Employment Arbitration & ADR, Thomas E. Carbonneau & Philip J. Mcconnaughay, Editors, Juris Publishing Inc., April, 2007
- Fee Splits Require Up-Front Written Client Consent, (Co-Author), Section Review, Massachusetts Bar Association, March, 2006
- Attorney Duty to Client is Without End, (Co-Author), Section Review, Massachusetts Bar Association, July, 2005
- Contributing Author & Editor, Fees & Client Funds, Massachusetts Bar Association, Third Edition, 2003
- Chapter 4, Future Fees: A Look at Things That Might Come, Editor, Chapter 1, Getting Paid, Editor, Appendices A - D.
- Rethinking Employment Law Strategies, Part II, Dispute Resolution Journal, American Arbitration Association, November-February, 2002
- Rethinking Employment Law Strategies, Part I, Dispute Resolution Journal, American Arbitration Association, August-October, 2001
- Understanding Mass Claims Panels, AAA Dispute Resolution Journal, American Arbitration Association, May/July, 2000
- Blake Brothers Corporation v. Daniel F. Roche, et. al., 12 Mass App Ct 556, 427 NE2d 501 (1981)
- Friendly Ice Cream Corporation v. Commissioner of Revenue, 397 Mass 1006, 493 NE2d 491 (1986)
- Tax Equity Alliance For Massachusetts, Inc., et. al. v. Commissioner of Revenue, et. al., 401 Mass 310, 516 NE2d 152 (1987)
- Citizens For A Competitive Massachusetts, et. al., v. Secretary of the Commonwealth, 413 Mass 25, 594 NE2d 855 (1992)
- Blockel v. J.C. Penney Co., Inc., 337 F3d 17, 14 A.D. Cases 1107, 26 NDLR 164 (1st Cir. (MA) 2003)
- NUVO Bank & Trust Co.
- Pride Convenience, Inc.
- Pet Angel World Services, LLC
- Poly-Med, Inc.
- Applied Proactive Technologies, Inc.
- Joining Technologies, Inc.
- Climate Engineering Truck & Trailer Refrigeration, Inc.
- Constellation Software, Inc.
- Video Communications, Inc.
- Insource Holdings, Inc.
- Presenter, Representations, Warranties & Indemnification in M&A Transactions, M&A Source, Webinar, September, 2011
- Presenter, Assessing Business Operation Risk and Managing it, UMASS Massachusetts Small Business Development Center, Springfield, MA, October , 2010
- Panel Member, What Consumers Want From Fee Arbitration, American Bar Association Center for Professional Responsibility, 24th National Forum on Client Protection, Boston, MA, May 31, 2008
- Presenter, Intellectual Property Law Primer For Entrepreneuers, Regional Technology Corporation, Springfield, MA, June, 2007
- Presenter, Business & Legal Issues In Merger & Acquisitions, Executive Roundtable, Holyoke, Massachusetts, December, 2005
- Presenter, Buying a Franchise, The Western Mass. Regional Office of the Massachusetts Small Business Development Center Network, Springfield, MA, February, 2005
- Presenter, Strategic Alliances, Technology Enterprise Council, Springfield, MA, April, 2003
- Seminar Leader, Individual Rights & Business Ethics, American International College MBA Program, October, 2002
- Presenter, Advocacy in Mediation, American Arbitration Association, Boston, MA, May, 2002
- Presenter, Effective Employment Conflict Management, American Arbitration Association, Hartford, CT, February, 2000
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2008 - 2013
- National Alumni Award, American International College, 1994
- Who's Who in the World
- Who's Who in America
- Who's Who in the East
- Who's Who in American Law
- Who's Who in Finance and Industry
- Who's Who of Emerging Leaders of America
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association (ABA), ABA/BNA Lawyers Manual on Professional Conduct Ed Bd, 2006 - 2008
- American Bar Association (ABA), Center for Professional Responsibility Strat Plan Committee, 2008 - 2010
- American Bar Association, Content Committee of the ABA Business Law Section from the State Regulation of Securities Committee, Director, 2010 - Present
- Massachusetts Bar Association (MBA), Chair, Fee Arbitration Board Committee, 2003 - Present
- Massachusetts Bar Association (MBA), House of Delegates, 2004 - Present
- Massachusetts Bar Association (MBA), Law Practice Management Section Council, 2002 - 2004
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- The Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Past Employment Positions
- Friendly Ice Cream Corporation, Company Counsel & Asst. Clerk, 1981 - 1988
- Friendly Ice Cream Corporation, Staff Counsel & Asst. Clerk, 1981 - 1982
Pro Bono Activities
- MA Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, 1988 - Present
- Lawyers Clearinghouse on Affordable Housing, 1988 - Present